Pancevo, Serbia

 

General

    Pancevo is a town in the Vojvodina province of Serbia.  It is the northernmost part of Yugoslovia and is bordered by Croatia on the west, Hungary on the north and Romania on the east.  Most of the Jewish communities in the province were founded in the 1840's.  During World War II, the area was occupied by the Hungarians, and most of the Jewish population was either killed, deported or sent to labor camps.

    The two postcards below depict the synagogue in Pancevo, Serbia.  It was destroyed by the Communists after World War II, and apartment buildings were constructed on the site.  The Jewish population today is estimated at 155.

References

History of Pancevo

Encyclopedia Judaica, CD Rom Edition, Keter Publishing

Copyright 1998-2000 Edward Victor