The below postcards depict the synagogue located in Lida, Belorussia. Prior to the outbreak of war between Russia and Germany, there were about 8,500 Jews in Lida. In July, 1941, the Germans took the leadership of the Jewish community to the nearby village of Stoneiewicze, where they were murdered. In May 1942, another mass murder of Jews occurred near the same village. The ghetto was destroyed in September, 1943. There were only 300 Jews left in the town on liberation in July, 1944.
Spector, The Encyclopedia of Jewish Life Before and During the Holocaust, P. 727-28
Encyclopedia Judaica, CD-Rom Edition, Keter Publishing
Lida Memorial Society
Copyright ©2002-08 Edward Victor
Belarus Home Page