Heilbronn, Germany

 

General

    Heilbronn is located in Wuerttemberg, western Germany. Jews in Heilbronn date from the mid-11th century. In 1885, the Jewish population numbered almost 1,000 (3.5% of the total population). By 1933, the Jewish population had dropped to under 800. The synagogue was set on fire during Kristallnacht. By 1941, about 600 Jews had emigrated. The remaining Jews were deported during 1941-42. The postcard below depicts the synagogue in Heilbronn, which was designed by Adolf Wolff and consecrated in 1877.

References

Encyclopedia Judaica, CD Rom Edition, Keter Publishing

Spector, The Encyclopedia of Jewish Life Before and During the Holocaust, P. 595-96

Carole Herselle Krinsky, Synagogues of Europe, P. 429

Copyright 1998-2002 Edward Victor